The Central Iowa Expo (CIE) Board is a not-for-profit 501c-4 corporation established to provide over-sight and direction for the property.
The CIE Board consists of several key individuals from the Central Iowa area, with specific Board positions assigned to the founding organizations. The current board members are:
- Shawn Bryant
- Jim Heckman
- Jesse Green
The following is a listing of events and types that are potential events to host at the site:
- Outdoor Festivals such as ethnic or themed festivals (examples are Latin Fest or Cajun Fest), food festivals (ex. A Taste of Iowa) or grilling competition
- Support events relating to area events such as Pufferbilly Days, auto racing events, ISU football, county fairs
- Flea Markets and Regional Sales events (ex. Iowa’s Largest Outdoor Garage Sale)
- Concerts, rallies, and fundraisers
- Great stopping point, campsite, and festival location for a future RAGBRAI event
- Training sessions relating to area ISU/Ames conferences (training area affiliated with potential events like firefighters, emergency drills, company field training, 4H and FFA on-site demonstrations and educational training, conservation techniques, etc.)
- Recreational use such as camping, snowmobile, motorcycle or ATV events, auto or classic vehicle shows.
- Outdoor shows such as boat shows, hunting/fishing expos, RV and camper shows, dog and pet shows.
- Good Sam’s or Airstream statewide or regional recreational vehicle convention.
- Community events such as kite-flying, holiday celebrations or neighborhood bash
- Traveling shows such as tent circuses, carnivals, or extreme sports events
- Sporting activities such as marathons, competitions, and contests.
In addition to the outdoor event possibilities, the Central Iowa Expo is the beneficiary of facilities built and retained by the site for the Farm Progress Show. We work with the Farm Progress Show to establish building covenants and restrictions so that biennial vendors for the Farm Progress Show can put up permanent structures that we as the CIE can utilize year-round. This can provide opportunity, depending upon the types of facilities and amenities included for the following events:
- Conferences, seminars, indoor training sessions, and meetings
- Year-round reunions, flea markets and sales
- Flat show events such as expos, small trade shows, hunting/fishing show, card shows, etc.
- Pre-event space prior to ISU Athletics or other area events (overnight camping and tailgate party)
- Could become a permanent site for agri-business and educational offices or other state-wide organizations that would benefit from affiliation with both the Farm Progress Show and the Central Iowa Expo.
This listing is just a sampling of event types that could be pursued for the Central Iowa Expo. Through the process of surveying event producers, end users, patrons, and key entertainment and area businesspeople, many of the events listed above could and will happen at the site.